Sunday, November 29, 2015

the significance of the Baker's Dozen

Anna,
You have heard the story of your birth a number of times in how my labor was long and how we thought you might be born on the 11th, then the 12th, and then finally you came on the 13th. You’ve heard how I had a moment where I shared my disappointment that your birthday was on the thirteenth because in some people’s minds, it was an unlucky number.  But Janie turned it around immediately and put a silver lining on that reminding me that 13 was the number of the “baker’s dozen.”  The 13th item in the baker’s dozen is that extra gift that is not expected or deserved, and that is what you are.  You are an extraordinary extra gift in our family and you are our treasure, Anna.
May your 13th birthday celebration (that we still get to celebrate in Nashville in a few weeks) and may this Baker's Dozen blog I've kept for you this year be markers to you in your heart.  May they be reminders to you that you are loved, that you are a daughter of the King, and that you are such a gift to us.  
I love you to the moon and back, little one.
Love, Mom


No comments:

Post a Comment